The Right Choices program teaches children life skills and values that help them learn the importance of service and leadership. Riddled with the long-term effects of poverty and trauma, many inner city communities are filled with children making wrong choices. We help them make right choices, through:
- Teaching children how to respect and care about the needs of others.
- Teaching children how to respect themselves.
- Helping young people to find a basis and establish a structure for morality upon which they can pattern their lives.
- Believing in themselves and understanding that every individual has self-worth.
- Teaching the desire to contribute to her/his community in a positive way and should strive to improve one’s community.
Mentoring at Right Choices
Including a mentoring component is to help increase a child’s academic performance while developing a nurturing bond with a caring adult.
- Mentor Tutors are matched with a student to provide one-on-one literacy training in reading and math.
- Mentor Tutors are given training, resources and support to address the student’s academic deficiencies.
- Through a series of on and off-site field trips and projects, Mentor Tutors have fun while engaging each Right Choices child in learning and personal development.
Most Aslan children come from single parent homes with no father present. Some Aslan kids live with relatives or in foster care and do not have an adult who will guide them in their personal development.
The real power of the Right Choices program comes from this one-to-one interaction between the tutor and the student.
Aslan provides children with their own special mentor to encourage them and help them believe that with hard work and determination, they can succeed.
Red Bank Tutoring
6:00 – 7:30 pm – Red Bank Middle School
Red Bank Right Choices
4:30 – 9:00 pm – Pilgrim Baptist, Red Bank
Long Branch Tutoring
5:30 – 7:00 pm – Long Branch Covenant Church
Long Branch Right Choices
4:30 – 6:00 pm – Long Branch Covenant Church
Right Choices 4:30 – 6:00 pm
Tutoring 6:00 – 7:30